New York has its own laws for buying and selling used cars. This guide will walk you through the process.
Step 1 - Research the Car’s History
PrivateAuto now partners with AutoCheck, the report which delivers the best value for the price. It can show you a lot about the car’s history.
- Liens on the title.
- Branded title (total loss, fire/flood damage, rebuilt from salvage).
- Maintenance records.
- Accidents reported.
Step 2 - Test Drive the Car
Forget the continuous back-and-forth texts and phone calls. When you shop with PrivateAuto, you can schedule a test drive right on the platform.
Choose from the available times and meet the seller at the locale shown.
Step 3 - Get an Inspection
You’re buying the car as-is. That is, there’s no warranty. An inspection can reveal hidden mechanical problems.
PrivateAuto includes an inspection scheduling tool. It lets you schedule an inspection with a local ASE certified mechanic.
Step 4 - Complete the Paperwork
Certificate of Title
Complete the transfer of ownership section on the certificate.
- Buyer name and address.
- Selling price.
- Date of sale.
- Odometer reading (cars 10 years old or less).
- Damage disclosure.
- Signatures of you and the buyer.
Bill of Sale
New York law requires a bill of sale (Form MV-912) for any title transfer, even if it’s a gift.
Step 5 - Complete the Deal
If you can, close the deal at a New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office. It’s the best way to make sure you have everything taken care of.
- Registration/license plates.
- New title.
- Pay sales tax or show proof of exemption.
PrivateAuto makes it easy to shop for a used car from a private party.
- Ready-to-sign electronic documents.
- Test drive and inspection scheduling tools.
- Keeps your private info safe.
- Verifies seller ID so you can avoid scams.
Plus, you get free tips for buying a car in New York.