Washington has unique laws for buying a used car from a private seller. This handy guide will lead you through the process.
Step 1 - Gather Documents
Certificate of Title
Complete the Assignment By Registered Owner section. It’s at the bottom of the front of the title.
- Odometer reading without tenths.
- Transfer date.
- Your name, signature, and address.
- Buyer’s name, signature, and address.
Bill of Sale
State law requires a completed Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale form TD-420-065.
When you buy through PrivateAuto, you have access to an electronic form TD-420-065 and other state-specific documents. Complete and sign right in the app.
Step 2 - Get a Vehicle History Report
A vehicle history report can show you:
- Maintenance and repair records.
- Collision repair records.
- Flood damage.
PrivateAuto partner AutoCheck gives you a complete picture of the car’s history. It’s the best value for the money.
Step 3 - Get a Mechanical Inspection
You’re buying the car as-is. In other words, there’s no warranty. You’ll have to pay for any repairs.
You’ll want to make sure there aren’t any hidden mechanical problems.
Find a mechanic you can trust. An ASE Certified mechanic is skilled at inspecting and repairing most cars and light trucks.
Step 4 - Complete the Purchase
After the purchase, you will need to:
- Apply for a title. You will need to sign in front of a notary public or at a Washington licensing office.
- Order license plates.
- Pay fees.
PrivateAuto makes it easy to buy a car in Washington. You get dealer-like services in the palm of your hand.
- Keeps your info private.
- Verifies seller identity so you can avoid scams.
- Inspection and test drive schedulers.
Plus, you get free guides for buying and selling in your state.