Step 1 - Gather Documents
Certificate of Title
Rhode Island law requires you to sign over a title for 2001 vehicles or newer. Complete the transfer of title section on the certificate.
- Buyer name and address.
- Selling price.
- Date of sale.
- Odometer reading.
- Buyer’s signature.
- Your signature.
Bill of Sale
You’re required to provide a bill of sale. The buyer will need it for titling and registration.
It should include the following:
- Car’s year, make, and model.
- The vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Selling price.
When you sell with PrivateAuto, you get an electronic bill of sale form and state-specific documents you need. You can fill them out and sign right in the app.
Vehicle History Report
You can show your customer that you’re an honest seller. A vehicle history report can show your car’s true value. PrivateAuto recommends AutoCheck, the best value for the money.
Step 2 - Arrange a Test Drive
Skip the continuous back-and-forth texts and phone calls when planning a test drive. Use PrivateAuto’s test drive scheduler.
Just choose a place to meet your buyer and select days and times you’re available.
Step 3 - Complete the Sale
Remove the license plates before finalizing the sale.
The buyer will need to apply for a new title and register the car.
PrivateAuto makes it easy to sell your car to a private party. You get dealer-like services in the palm of your hand.
- List your car for free until it’s sold.
- Free window brochure so you can advertise while you’re on the road.
- Verifies the buyer’s ID so you can avoid scams.
- Easy to manage and respond to offers.
- Free inspection and test drive schedulers.
- Ready-to-sign state-specific electronic documents.